A while back the Paleo way of life found me. When I decided to change my lifestyle and found out gluten was causing me so many problems whenever I was looking for gluten free, grain free recipes I found Paleo friendly recipes. I got curious what the Paleo Diet was all about and I wanted to find out more. Since then I’ve added quite a few Paleo friendly recipes to my recipe box.
I’m trying to get my husband on board with the lifestyle too. One of his favorite dishes is chili, but he’s never been crazy about the beans. I decided to give my favorite chili recipe a try bean free. It turned out fabulous, so I thought I’d share.
Paleo Friendly Bean Free Crock Pot Chili
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or hamburger
- 1 jar of tomato juice (I use homemade sauce)
- 1 can or jar of stewed tomatoes
- 1 jar Paleo friendly salsa
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 container mini portabello mushroom or button mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1. Brown the ground turkey and saute it with the chopped onion and minced garlic.
2. Pour the tomato juice, stewed tomatoes, and salsa into the crock pot. I canned some of my own tomatoes and juice this year, so I used those. If you use make own you may want to add a little salt. If you use canned try to find BPA free or glass jars.
3. Add the cooked ground turkey with the onions and garlic, then the sliced mushrooms.
4. Add the cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to taste.
5. Let it simmer on low for a couple hours to blend the flavors.
This recipe got two thumbs up from my husband, and definitely two thumbs up from me. I thought chili had to have beans in it to be good, this definitely proved me wrong! I’ll definitely be making it again.
If you don’t want to brown your meat ahead of time, just add it to the crock pot along with the onion and garlic and let it cook in the chili.